A holder of a trade certificate in a trade that electrical work is an ancillary part of the trade (i.e. mechanical fitter, refrigeration/AC, plumber etc), you need to first undertake a resuscitation course (CPR Course).  Using this application form, send in certified copies of your trade certificate, current CPR certificate (current means less than 1 year), a letter from your employer stating why you require the licence and the type of electrical work you wish to carry out (statutory declaration if your self employed) to the Licensing Dept.

The Licensing Dept will send you a Training Permit to permit you to perform the on-job training.  Once you have the Training Permit, you can commence the required on-job training under supervision using either the Record of Training Book (Specialised) or (Restricted).  The sections you are required to complete will be explained to you during the off-job training course, which you can also commence.  For the next off-job training course, click here.

If you are working in a trade that electrical work is an ancillary part of the trade, but do not hold a trade certificate, the Electrical Safety Office requires that you apply for an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate (ARTC) through Trades Recognition Australia (TRA).  This is more likely if you have come from overseas or from the armed forces.

Once both the on-job and off-job training has been successfully completed, Form 31, and the Completion Statement (signed by your employer, yourself, and QET) will be forwarded to the Licensing Dept for the issuance of a Restricted Electrical Licence.