Electrical Fitters are tradespeople that can maintain and repair electrical equipment but are not allowed to install wiring systems (i.e. they cannot connect cabling between electrical equipment) For example, electrical fitters can manufacture and install switchboards but cannot run the cable from the switchboard to the motor starter or light switches. Nor can than wire up domestic, commercial or industrial installations.

The Electrical Safety Act states the requirements for an Electrical Fitter Licence. QET assists those people that have come from overseas and has applied for and received an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate (ARTC) as electrical fitter.

If you come from overseas and wish to work as an electrician here in Queensland, you first need to apply for a ARTC from Trades Recognition Australia (TRA [click No 2]). If you have a letter from TRA stating that you have been recognised as an electrician for immigration purposes, this is not sufficient. Licensing requires the ARTC.

Now that you have an ARTC as an Electrical Fitter, you need to apply for your electrical fitter licence with this application form and send it to the Electrical Licensing Dept along with a current CPR Certificate (current means less than 1 year)

The Electrical Licensing Dept will send you a Training Permit to allow you to perform electrical work under supervision.

You now need to seek employment as an electrical fitter to gain on-job experience in working under the Australian Standards Framework. At the same time, QET offers the following course for your off-job training.

Electrical Fitter Licence Training.

Once both the on-job and off-job training is completed, a Form 31 and a Completion Statement, signed by your employer, yourself, and QET, is forwarded to the Electrical Licensing Dept for the issuance of your electrical Fitter licence.

FURTHER INFORMATION including costs etc.

Please email Chris at chris@qet.edu.au and QET will provide you a letter of offer for the training. If you wish to undertake this training, we will need to verify that you have applied for your electrical fiiter training permit. Please include a scanned copy of your electrical fitter training permit (and ARTC if you have one). If you cannot scan, you will have to send a copy to me by post.