If you believe that you have a calling which the Chief Executive decides electrical work is ancillary to this calling, you can apply for a Training Permit.  In making this decision, QET has provided this attachment from the Electrical Safety Office website.
Using this application form, send in certified copies of your evidence that you meet the requirements from the above attachment, i.e. certificates of in-house training, reference letters from previous employers etc, along with your current CPR certificate (current means less than 1 year), a letter from your employer stating why you require the licence (the employer must establish an occupational need) and the type of electrical work you wish to carry out (the employer must give examples of the type of electrical equipment, voltage levels, and whether it is supplied by plug and cord or "hard-wired").

Now that the employer has established an occupational need, then the employer must show how you (the applicant) have the necessary qualifications and/or experience to perform this type of work. This can be established by certificates of in-house training, reference letters from previous employers as well as current employer etc.

If you are self employed, then you must complete the above information on a statutory declaration.

Treat this application like a job application, in order to justify why you (or more appropriately stated), why your employer requires that you need a restricted electrical work licence.

The Licensing Dept will assess your application, and, provided it meets the Eligibility Requirements for a Resticted Electrical Licence (see in particular Sections 5 & 7), will send you a Training Permit to permit you to perform the on-job training. 

Once you have the Training Permit, you can commence the required on-job training under supervision using either the Record of Training Book (Specialised) or (Restricted) or both.  The sections you are required to complete will be explained to you during the off-job training course, which you can also commence.  For the next off-job training course, click here.
If you are working in a trade that electrical work is an ancillary part of the trade, but do not hold a trade certificate, the Electrical Safety Office requires that you apply for an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate (ARTC) through Trades Recognition Australia (TRA).  For example, if you are working as a mechanical fitter but do not hold a mechanical fitter trade certificate, then the Electrical Safety Office will request that you obtain this certificate. Likewise for refrigeration etc. This is more likely if you have come from overseas or from the armed forces.

Once both the on-job and off-job training has been successfully completed, Form 31, and the Completion Statement (signed by your employer, yourself, and QET) will be forwarded to the Licensing Dept for the issuance of a Restricted Electrical Licence.